Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is Distemper Booster Necessary For A Dog That Is Almost 2 Years?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby Hallbjorn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Puppies need a series of distemper shots, every 2-4 weeks from when they are 6 weeks old till 16 weeks old. If they did not receive the full set, they should get two distemper/parvo shots, 2-4 weeks apart when you first get the dog, then repeat it in one year. After that, if the dog stays indoors and does not go to dog parks, to the groomer, to the pet store, on the sidewalks or roads during leash walks, or anywhere else that other dogs go, it could receive the distemper booster every 3 years. But a 2 year old is definitely due to have one. He needs a current heartworm test and fecal as well, and should be on heartworm preventative monthly. You might want to look into pet insurance as well.
Hallbjorn

Postby Conn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:38 pm

That person who is claiming to be a DVM is not giving you up to date information. According to the research done by Dr. Dodd of the University of Wisconsin, and the latest AAHA recommendations, if your dog received a booster at or after 16 weeks of age the distermper and parvo vaccines provide life-long protection. Vaccines do have side effects and many of them are becoming obvious as the dogs continue to be overvaccinated.

If you want more information read "How to vaccinate your dog safely"

For more info read "Does your dog need another heartworm test?"
Conn

Postby Chaunce » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 am

If your dog hasn't gotten any vaccines then it is . The booster is very helpful and will prevent your dog from getting parvo and other dangerous diseases . You specially want to get it if you get a new puppy so your dog won't get sick and get your new puppy sick .
Chaunce

Postby Ciaran » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 pm

Get it if your dog ever comes into contact with any dogs (walks, dog parks, visitors with dogs, visitors who have been in contact with dogs, etc). It is really cheap, and its just a nose drip.
Ciaran

Postby Corbett » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 am

There is a lot of debate about vaccination and dogs.
There are some who feel the vaccinations are worse than the possible disease there are some who feel the opposite.

I personally think that in the US we over-vaccinate and that many mistakenly believe that vaccinations are 100% safe.

I don't happen to think vaccinations are 100% safe.
A dog can have a bad reaction to a vaccination at any time in it's life no matter how many times it's been vaccinated before with the same vaccine.

That said, I DO vaccinate my pups and dogs, just not on the schedule recommended by your standard veterinarians or the companies that manufacture the vaccines.
There is a TON of research out there on the internet.
Do some google searches dog vaccines, do a lot of reading and then make your own decision.

I don't do yearly boosters on any vaccine execpt where law requires it - which is just rabies and where I live, you only have to do that every three years after the second rabies vaccination.
Corbett

Return to Pet Insurance