Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is Disability The Other Welfare Program For The Unemployable?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby Loritz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 pm

""That's a kind of ugly secret of the American labor market," David Autor, an economist at MIT, told me. "Part of the reason our unemployment rates have been low, until recently, is that a lot of people who would have trouble finding jobs are on a different program."

Part of the rise in the number of people on disability is simply driven by the fact that the workforce is getting older, and older people tend to have more health problems.

But disability has also become a de facto welfare program for people without a lot of education or job skills. But it wasn't supposed to serve this purpose; it's not a retraining program designed to get people back onto their feet. Once people go onto disability, they almost never go back to work. Fewer than 1 percent of those who were on the federal program for disabled workers at the beginning of 2011 have returned to the workforce since then, one economist told me.

People who leave the workforce and go on disability qualify for Medicare, the government health care program that also covers the elderly. They also get disability payments from the government of about $13,000 a year. This isn't great. But if your alternative is a minimum wage job that will pay you at most $15,000 a year, and probably does not include health insurance, disability may be a better option." http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
Loritz

Postby Tier » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 pm

As a liberal, I do agree with you that disability is probably one of the most abused programs in the social safety net. There are many reasons for this. The main one is that it costs the government less to approve a claim than it does to fight it if a lawyer brings suit. Lawyers are the problem and most of the people in Congress who could change the laws or budget the money to fight these suits are also Lawyers. The only way this will change is for we voters to insist that our representatives do something about it but we Liberals will not allow the entire program to be trashed. There are people who need disability. They are not the problem. The rich Lawyers and Congress are the problem.
Tier

Postby Dinesh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am

it's true.

This is actually one I side with the cons on. Too many people getting disability who don't really qualify for it.

Scamming the system is the american way it seems.
Dinesh

Postby Hob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 am

The pernicious classification of "disabled" has become a scam for those who simply don't want to work.

After over ten years of sitting in the "Support Enforcement" court designed to force (mostly) dead beat dads and moms to pay child support I cannot count the number of "disabled" people who claimed that their knees hurt or their backs hurt or -- and this was common -- that they were too tense or they had headaches or that they felt insecure or they had no "self esteem." Social Security Disabilty has become a scam facilited by a parasitite-promoting "victim culture" which is sweeping across our legal system.
IMO it is sponsored by democrats who know these "disabled" will vote for them.
Hob

Return to Health & Medical Insurance