Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Man Busted Selling Fake Insurance Policies!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

My dependent was claimed twice last year. Will it affect this years return?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby wetherly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm

I claimed my son & so did his grandfather. He lives with me, health insurance under my name, school address under my address, ect. Well, my return was approved last year & I received my refund. I ended up getting a notice in the mail from the IRS, months later during the summer. It said someone else claimed my son & I thought it was his father but it ended up being his grandfather. I called the IRS & they told me that if my return was correct & my son was mine to claim then I do nothing. They will investigate the other person. I haven't received any more notices. I filed this year, it was accepted & my return is still processing. (I filed 12 days ago). Still no DD date or any update. Now it has me wondering if my return will be delayed, audited, reviewed.. Whatever the case may be because of last year. He knows this year not to claim him because I told him I was. I asked if he ever received a letter from the IRS because of last year & he said no. Im not sure if hes lying or what. Just confused now :/
wetherly

Postby presley » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

The IRS is being more cautious of people who claimed kids, but if you already filed and it matched last year's return I wouldn't think there would be a delay. If someone filed after you the same thing that happened last year would happen again this year
presley

Postby telutci30 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:12 pm

The IRS won't tell you who else claimed your son. It may or may not have been the grandfather. It would appear that you filed first and got your refund. I'd reckon that whoever claimed him withdrew the claim when they got the notice from the IRS. If that was the grandfather he is either lying or forgot about it.

Since your return was not rejected this year, that says that nobody claimed your child before you did. A denied claim in a prior year is probalby enough to deter anyone from trying another improper claim again.

There are plenty of reasons that your refund could be delayed, but since you were successful last year it's unlikely that it would be delayed this year over any questions of your ability to legally claim your child.
telutci30

Postby brook34 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Either you or your father will be audited and one of you will have to return the money received. Two people cannot claim the same dependent.
brook34

Return to Health & Medical Insurance