Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Deceased father has deceased grandmother as beneficiary on life insurance policy?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Deceased father has deceased grandmother as beneficiary on life insurance policy?

Postby caddarik23 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm

My father recently passed away and on one of his life insurance policies my grandmother was listed as beneficiary. She is also deceased. I am his only biological child. There is no spouse but there is a step child. I live in minute and he lived in iowa. Do I need to go through a probate lawyer? Do I need to become head of estate? What needs to be done for taxes? I am lost and looking for a direction to head
caddarik23

Postby layton » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes, you will need to go through probate court.

The life insurance money will be paid to your father's estate, and all of the debts of the estate must be paid off - including any medical bills, car loans, credit cards, mortgages, etc - before you can inherit anything.

The easiest thing for you to do, throughout this process, is to use a lawyer.
layton

Postby amaury » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Just contact the insurance company. You will need to provide them with the death certificates of both your dad and your grandma. They will tell you exactly what you need to do. Call the life insurance company ASAP to file the claim.
amaury

Postby llevelys39 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Contact the life insurance company's claims department for the correct procedures to establish your right of beneficiary status.You will more than likely have to see a Probate Judge for the finally disposition.
llevelys39

Postby eduard » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Is there a secondary beneficiary? That insurance policy may have lapsed after grandmother died. You should contact the insurance company and find out.
eduard

Postby filbert » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm

If no named beneficiaries remain living, the death benefit is paid to the deceased's estate, and is handled according to will or probate.
filbert

Postby burket » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Get a probate attorney, you'll need one for this situation.
burket

Return to Life Insurance