Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Could My Mom's Liver Already Be Failing From Her Alcohol Abuse?

Unemployment Insurance and Employment Discussion

Postby Thalmus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

My Mom has been an alcoholic for about 7-8 years now. It didn't turn extreme until maybe 4 years ago... She's 50 and finally after her eyes began to turn yellow last year she quit cold turkey and her eyes returned back to normal. Her soberness lasted for a month or so. Then she started back up again, however her eyes didn't begin to turn yellow again until maybe 3 months ago. The skin on her scalp and all around her hair line is so terrible looking and her eyes are nothing like I have ever seen before. Finally about 2 weeks ago she told my brother and I that she had noticed the drastic change and once again quit cold turkey. She has since, as far as she tells us, has been sober. However, I think her color may be getting worse and worse. Since I'm the only who sees her on a weekly basis I really can't have someone to judge other than myself. Could she already be in liver failure? If so what other symptoms would she be having? She is currently unemployed and living off of her retirement savings. So she doesn't have insurance to see a doctor. What is the most effective and cheapest way she can get checked out and helped?
Thalmus

Postby Ahaziah » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:56 am

Your mother certainly could have liver damage and needs to see a doctor.
Liver damage from alcohol abuse can lead to a condition called "cirrhosis" of the liver.
Look it up on wikipedia and read about it.
The yellow eyes you are talking about is called "jaundice." When liver damage gets to the more advanced stage and a person has cirrhosis, it does not go away.
The damage is permanent damage.

I agree with someone else that stated if your mom had money to drink, then she has money to go to a doctor.
There are usually always a free clinic or clinics that give discounted rates based on a persons income.
I'm sure she can find some kind of help if she wants it.
She certainly need it.
Ahaziah

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Maybe, have she consulted a doctor and have her liver tested? Alcoholics usually have a fatty liver.
Ron

Postby rainier » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

Please call a professional alcohol counselor who can give you the best advice.

Call now - The phone call is free and so is the consultation.

She needs help now 877-649-6603
rainier

Return to Unemployment Insurance