Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

If Christianity Is About Love Why Does Jesus Tell Us To Hate Our Parents?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby Trentin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Did Jesus ever call Joesph his father?

Why did Jesus leave the profession of carpentry?

Why did Jesus leave his Mother, brothers and sisters?

Why did Jesus leave his home?

----- The answer to all these questions are realized in the following verses -----

19 Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not come at him for the press.

20 And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee.

21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.
Luke 8:19-21 (KJV)

---

55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?

57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Matt 13:55-58 (KJV)

---

47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Matt 12:47-50 (KJV)

---

31 There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him.

32 And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.

33 And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?

34 And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Mark 3:31-35 (KJV)

---

---

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
John 19:26-27 (KJV)

--- Even at the time of Jesus' death Jesus still did not consider Mary his mother or the Apostle John as his Mother or brother as he did not in Luke, Matt and Mark.

Trentin

Postby Caswallon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 am

Because it's a really good book.
Just a story.
Caswallon

Postby Stanweg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Here's a commentary on Luke 14:

http://jimhamilton.info/2011/05/03/does-jesus-really-want-you-to-hate-father-mother-brother-sisiter-wife-and-children/
Stanweg

Postby aethelbeorht » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:06 am

You gotta get everything straight...so do many also.

We want to know what the bible says.

Not some made up summary of it.

The bible speaks about salvation of individuals.
That's the meaning of love.

Love for all? All that turn from wickedness, that ego trip, that 'me best, you worst'

and more.

Family is actually a lie if you look at it.
Not all families of course.

Jesus is talking to those (and us) where the family is unbelieving.

Let's say a someone becomes Christian...they pray, and they really feel

they should NOT go to college.

They feel they should go to bible school and become a pastor.

Family doesn't believe, wants the person to become a lawyer,

or a dentist.

How do you think that goes?

Just one example.

And please notice...did you see it? .......cannot be...WHAT???'

a follower? Check this out.
Read it word by word, not some summary.

God is exact, but most atheists just gloss over everything.
aethelbeorht

Postby Veniamin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:13 pm

I think the point here is not the parents, but "hate your own life", in other words, hate yourself, That's where sin, guilt, self-worthlessness, feeling totally useless, etc., come in and thus the NEED for a redeemer, church, etc. Now you are no longer a person, but a slave. You've been brainwashed, you are a "believer".

This verse shows the "hidden agenda" of the whole thing. the other nice stuff, is there just to get you to actually believe this one.
Veniamin

Postby Durant » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 am

He that loveth father or mother ... - The meaning of this is clear. Christ must be loved supremely, or he is not loved at all. If we are not willing to give up all earthly possessions, and forsake all earthly friends, and if we do not obey him rather than all others, we have no true attachment to him.

Is not worthy of me - Is not appropriate to be regarded as a follower of me, or is not a Christian.

And he that taketh not his cross ... - When persons were condemned to be crucified, a part of the sentence was that they should carry the cross on which they were to die to the place of execution. Thus, Christ carried his, until he fainted from fatigue and exhaustion. See notes at Mat_27:31. The cross was usually composed of two rough beams of wood, united in the form of this figure of a cross It was an instrument of death. See the notes at Mat_27:31-32. To carry it was burdensome, was disgraceful, was trying to the feelings, was an addition to the punishment. So ?to carry the cross? is a figurative expression, denoting that we must endure whatever is burdensome, or is trying, or is considered disgraceful, in following Christ. It consists simply in doing our duty, let the people of the world think of it or speak of it as they may. It does not consist in making trouble for ourselves, or doing things merely ?to be opposed;? it is doing just what is required of us in the Scriptures, let it produce whatever shame, disgrace, or pain it may. This every follower of Jesus is required to do.

Durant

Postby ira » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Question: "What did Jesus mean when He instructed us hate our father and mother (Luke 14:26)?"

Answer: First, we must take this verse in the context of the chapter. Jesus is teaching His disciples, and like any good teacher, He begins with a truth statement that is hard to understand in order to get His students thinking. Then, He clarifies the difficult truth statement with a metaphor. The truth statement is the confusing verse 26, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters?yes, even his own life?he cannot be my disciple." So, if we don't hate our family and our own lives, we can't be His disciple. But does He mean we are to have real hatred for our parents?

Next, Jesus relates a metaphor about a man who builds a house without counting the cost and finds that he cannot follow through with what he set out to do. He leaves the house unfinished because he cannot pay what is required. Jesus is showing us the explanation to His difficult statement?that we must count the cost of discipleship. This is the point of the passage. In order to be a disciple, we must be willing to give up everything for Jesus. Therefore, if our parents will not follow Jesus, or even if they disown us for being Christians, we must still choose Him over them. It is in this sense that we are "hating" our family members who reject the Lord or reject us because of the Lord. This is not easy, and of course it is right that we should love our family members and want our family members to love and follow God. After all, 1 John 4:7-8 says "Beloved, let us love one another for love is from God and everyone that loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God for God is love." And that is only one of many passages commanding us to love others. But despite our love for the people we know, here is the key: if they don't love Jesus, He must still be our first priority. We must esteem Him more highly than the people we love here on earth and we must love Him more than our own lives. In fact, we must love Him so much that our earthly loves pale in comparison, even to the point of seeming like hate.

Second, let's take it in context of other places in the Bible. Matthew 19:29 says, "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life." So, here is the promise: God has required total commitment from His followers, to the point of heart-breaking separation from any natural family members who reject Jesus, but in heaven we will have a hundred times what we lost?an entire family of believers who love Christ and who love us! Even the material things that we had forsaken in order to follow Him will be given back to us in a form a hundred times better than what we lost! So, He is a good God, after all, and, no, He does not want us to literally hate (viciously despise or wish harm to) the members of our family. All we are required to do is choose Jesus over them even if they force us to do so by rejecting Him.

Jesus may have chosen the word "hate" to show us that this is how a mother or father will perceive the actions of a child who chooses the Lord above them. They will see it as disloyal, especially if we try to witness to them. The love of a Christian for a non-Christian is almost always seen as hatred, intolerance, bigotry, etc. But we must be okay with being seen as "hating." After all, our unbelieving relatives are part of the world, and Jesus said, ?"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first? (John 15:18).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/hate-father-...
ira

Postby Danny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 am

You have to be able to read and interpret that verse correctly.
Danny

Postby Chizkiya » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 am

This simply means we are to love God more than anything in this world. Jesus should be number one is all our lives. but he is not number one in many people lives as a matter of fact Jesus is mostly last in most people priorities. We should put worship of the Lord first in our lives. nothing should keep us from serving the Lord and make him king of our lives. So many times instead of going to Church on Sunday people go to a sporting event and put Jesus on the back burner this should not be the case but often is. Pick up your cross and follow Jesus he has to be number one in our lives not number two thanks for the question friend God bless.
Chizkiya

Return to Disability Insurance