Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Car insurance got cancelled, where do I stand, how does this effect me?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby stephan » Tue May 28, 2013 6:51 am

So I had an accident, not my fault, made a claim. but my insurance company didn't like how I was a named driver on the policy but the owner of the car, however this was made aware to them when I took the policy. so they dropped my claim and refunded my money. I then immediately got new cover elsewhere. I have now received a letter that suggests that what had happened was my insurance had been cancelled. Now i did not know this at the time of getting my new cover. However my new cover is fully in my name now. The company didn't ask me weather i had been cancelled before either. where do i stand, do i need to ring them up and tell them? I don't what to have another policy cancelled cause I didn't know y previous one was? also how does this effect me, and for how long? My new policy is with Diamond, i understand some companies do not insure people who have had polices cancelled, would they?
stephan

Postby standish22 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 am

When you take out any car insurance, they always ask you if you've had a policy cancelled before. You obviously didn't answer or didn't answer truthfully.

Your original policy has been cancelled because you were fronting, loads of teens get caught doing this every week, and still seem to think they can get away with it.

You need to sort it out with your current insurer and be honest this time.
standish22

Postby cormic » Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 am

Your first insurance company cancelled your cover because you were fronting. You were the driver of the car but listed yourself as an occasional driver to get a lower premium. They regard this as fraud so they cancelled your policy.

You MUST tell your new insurer. One of the questions is "Have you ever had cover cancelled or withdrawn?" You have. If you don't answer the question truthfully you will have obtained cover by fraud and your cover will be void.
cormic

Postby tamas55 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 am

Clearly this is totally not your fault and you have been victimised.
The insurance company you dealt with for some reason did not ask all the same questions that all the others do I have dealt with (4 a year) and so did not find any of this out.
Clearly they never supplied you with the details in writing for you to check
Main driver, owner, keeper and policyholder has to be the same person with just about every insurer in the world.
tamas55

Postby guyon47 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 am

If you don't tell them and are unfortunate enough to make another claim this could jeopardise it and your claim refused. You should tell them, I have always found a section on the policy that asks if you've been refused cover elsewhere. If it was your car why weren't you named as the policy holder, which to me sounds a little fishy.
guyon47

Postby ohcumgache » Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 am

basically they said you were not covered, so now you are responsible for the bills. im not sure i understood, but thats what i got trying to read this.
ohcumgache

Return to Car Insurance