Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is A Cancer Diagnosis Along With Chemo A Reason To Go On Disability Leave From Work?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Is A Cancer Diagnosis Along With Chemo A Reason To Go On Disability Leave From Work?

Postby Sinjin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 am

I have applied for disability insurance while on chemo. And am worried I won't get approved. Do you think my illness of cancer and the chemo ate substantial enough reasons? I'm in Canada. And am a federal gov employee.
Sinjin

Postby Whitcomb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:33 pm

This varies from patient to patient and depends on how you tolerate the treatments.

I worked part-time throughout my treatment - it helped to keep my mind off my illness, but I needed a daily nap and doubt that I could have worked full-time.
My sister did similar thing when she was going through treatment.

Talk to your boss and see if some sort of flexible arrangement can be made.
Whitcomb

Postby Amery » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 am

A disabilty insurance payout is based on the insured's inabilty to go to work during an injury and ilness.

If your illness is not preventing you from working in your current job it is unlikely qualified for your benefits. You will have to check the definition of the disability within your policy, If your policy qualifies for partial disability benefits..

You can check the link for more details. http://lsminsurance.ca/life-insurance-canada/2009/03/disability-insurance-comparing
Amery

Postby Delane » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Depends on how far into it the cancer is. I wish you a full recovery!
Delane

Postby Aiekin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 pm

My dad was approved for STD (short-term-disability) last year when he was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor and had to go through Gamma Knife Radiation. He was approved. I am fairly positive the government is obligated to approve your disability because of your cancer and treatments.
Aiekin

Postby Bour » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:59 pm

It really depends on your current health . . not on the diagnosis . . also what stage is the disease and what type? Cancer is a progressive disease which means it starts very small and than grows . . it is when cancer is advanced because of the growing that treatment becomes very difficult and working can be become hard. Some people can still work during their cancer treatments if the cancer is at an early stage and treatment only lasts six months . . while others are disabled immediately because the disease is advanced and treatment is constant.
You need to check with your employer to see what 'rules' may apply in your own situation.
Bour

Postby MacAdhaimh » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:51 am

It really depends. I work in an oncology clinic in the States, and some of our patients continue to work, but a lot of them are older and already retired. It mainly depends on how well you tolerate chemo and what kind of regiment the doctor uses and if you tolerate that first regimen and don't need to switch regimens. My aunt, who had breast cancer two years ago but is currently in remission, did okay for the first half or so of her cycles (28 day cycles on a TAC- a taxane, adriamycin, carboplatin-regimen on one day in the cycle), but then the last few cycles wore her out and went on short term disability.

Not only the chemo, but the chemo side effects. Depending on the regimen and agressiveness and sometimes even the doctor, your main issue will be with the fatigue and susceptibility to infection. That being said, new information is coming out that staying active while doing chemo (as active as you can, because tiring yourself out wont allow your body to fight your disease).

Personally, I'm such a baby when it comes to being sick, I'd take the disability leave or at the least talk to my boss about a modified schedule. I think you should be approved because chemotherapy can be very debilitating.
MacAdhaimh

Return to Disability Insurance