Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Canadian Vs American Health Care?

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Postby Ely » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm from Canada and with the whole health care thing going on in the States I wonder what it is that people have against a Canadian type health care system. I'm not saying what you got is like the Canadian system but in general what do you have against it and how did you come to form that bias opinion. Keep in mind that, while there are waiting lists there aren't people that die because of wait lists, People that need immediate attention/surgery get it immediately. The other thing that i like about it is knowing that your not going to go bankrupt because you were the unlucky one to get cancer or have a serious injury or disease that forces you or your family into bankruptcy so you can get surgery. You can just go into the hospital and not have to worry about a big bill coming your way. I can go in to have an infection looked after or have a wood chip removed and not have to worry where the money is going to come from for this visit.
Ely

Postby Derrill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Canada Vs Usa Healthcare
Derrill

Postby Sachio » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 am

Actually, there are a bunch of us Americans who feel the same way, a national health care system is something we have needed for a long time.
America has been paying far too much for a very inferior health care system and we really need to change that.
Sachio

Postby Lachlan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:09 pm

I suggest one to visit this web page where you can compare rates from the best companies: http://PROTECTIONQUOTES.NET/index.html?s...

RE :Canadian vs American health care?

I'm from Canada and with the whole health care thing going on in the States I wonder what it is that people have against a Canadian type health care system. I'm not saying what you got is like the Canadian system but in general what do you have against it and how did you come to form that bias opinion. Keep in mind that, while there are waiting lists there aren't people that die because of wait lists, People that need immediate attention/surgery get it immediately. The other thing that i like about it is knowing that your not going to go bankrupt because you were the unlucky one to get cancer or have a serious injury or disease that forces you or your family into bankruptcy so you can get surgery. You can just go into the hospital and not have to worry about a big bill coming your way. I can go in to have an infection looked after or have a wood chip removed and not have to worry where the money is going to come from for this visit.

Follow 7 answers
Lachlan

Postby Jov » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am

People who say that Canadians and other people who come from countries with nationalized health care have to be on waiting lists don't know what they're talking about. Yes, there are some who do travel to the US for medical care but they often are wealthy people who do so to get elective procedures done. Those who talk about waiting lists fail to realize that this can and does occur in the US with private insurance companies. How many of them have had claims denied or delayed for no apparent reason? How many of them have had to wait to get a serious medical problem taken care of because their insurance company decided they needed to wait until they were eligible for coverage? I've heard of cases of women with breast cancer having to wait weeks to be able to see a doctor or get treatments.
Jov

Postby diomasach46 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Canada's health care system is far better than ours is here in the states. The reason people are against it is because America is the least educated of all civilized nations and they simply don't know that we are so bad off. Most grew up believing that we lead the world in all major categories and simply can't comprehend that we don't.
diomasach46

Postby Hristun » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 am

I agree with what you say somewhat.
Maybe you can clarify for me.
I work in a podiatrist's office and we have quite a few patients (non emergency visits) who have paid cash to come here and have bunion surgery, orthotics, etc. because they had been waiting for 2 years and could not have anything done.
It's great for those that have emergency but kind of inconvenient for those that have chronic pain that is causing them problems with driving, work and other daily activities.
By waiting on having something done in some of these elective surgeries - this can cause more problems down the line.
i.e., carpal tunnel for hands.
If you wait too long to have corrective surgery, the nerve can be damaged to the point where it will not come back all the way leaving you with permanency.
i.e. people with flat feet that need orthotics.
If not corrected it can cause leg, knee and back problems.

That would be my concern.
Hristun

Postby Shicheii » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 am

There is no debate any more since the bill was signed into law in March. What people object to is having to buy insurance in 4 years so everyone is covered.
To be affordable, everyone is supposed to cooperate and participate by getting a government subsidy or a tax credit but if you dont buy insurance, there is a tax liability of 2.5% of your income when you file your return. This seems to have been the way to retain the current private health care system because Congress did not want to pass any government insurance plan, let alone universal care as you have.
Shicheii

Postby Kerry » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:10 am

I know you'd rather hear from an American, but as I'm Canadian too, I thought I'd mention that many Americans have invested interest in keeping their health care as it is, such as investments or kickbacks from the Insurance companies that sell health care insurance.
Other Americans have been scared into believing if their Government takes control all chaos will ensue, like Seniors ending up on death panels... that was a doozy rumour which Sarah Palin liked to perpetuate.
Basically many Americans have been misinformed by the Republican Party and fear Government Control, but also a few Canadians (2 to be exact on political ads that I've seen) have been wooed or hired to give testimonials about their terrible experience with our Health care.
Basically they had to wait for an operation, which infuriated them so they went south of the border & paid for the operation themselves.
Premier Danny Williams didn't help either by going south for an operation.
We never did find out why as he claimed it was a private matter? Thus the US conservative far right pick up on these stories & spin the truth to make it sound like we're all in desperate need to go else where for good quality health care.
Unfortunately it doesn't help having many other Politicians or Premiers promoting American Style Health care here in Canada, because they're also being wooed by American Health Insurance Corporations, but we clearly have a more humane & just universal health system than the US, it's just a matter of fighting to keep it & tweak it to be better, so US Insurance spokes persons can't continue to bash our system, & those in the US who are fighting for Universal care may win some day soon.
Kerry

Return to Seniors Insurance