Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Canada Immigration

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Canada Immigration

Postby beorhthram » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Dear Tim,

I would appreciate your advice on my case as I am receiving conflicting advice from different agents here in U.A.E. I have also done some research on the CIC website.

My profile: 32 yrs.  B.Com and M.Com Degree from India. Working as a professor(accounting) for a private Indian University in UAE for last 5 years. My husband: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering(Mechanical) India and Post graduate diploma in Business Management. Currently working as an Engineer(last 4 years), worked as a Supervisor(Petroleum and Gas Services) for 3 years before this job and trainee engineer initially.

My queries:

1.   Can I apply as a University professor(NOC 4121) or do I require a PHD?

2.   If I cannot be the main applicant, can my husband apply under NOC 9212? Are the 3 years accepted for his case with not much work experience as operator? I saw on the NOC website ‘several years of work experience is usually required as operator’ under employment requirements

3.   If one of us is refused as main applicant, can we re-apply immediately keeping the other as main applicant or is there a ‘waiting period’? 4.   When and what social benefits I avail as a permanent resident?

I have been searching for concrete answers for the last 2 months but to no avail.

Request your assistance.

Thank you

Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am

Canada Immigration

Postby Lundie » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:27 am

Dear Lona,

You should be able to apply as a University Professor(NOC 4121) but be sure to obtain documentation that supports your experience(detailed letters of reference from the employer, and proof that the university is recognized by the UAE authorities otherwise your experience may not be counted in that category).

Anyone can re apply right away after an application has been refused, unless misrepresentation was involved.

Permanent residents normally enjoy various social benefits upon obtaining their status as permanent residents but must be living in Canada.

See the links below for more information.

If this response has been helpful, please let others know by completing the AllExperts.com rating form.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson, CCIC*



353 Saint-Nicolas

Suite 307

Montreal, Quebec


T: 514-845-5454

F: 514-845-8174

[email protected]


*Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant

SKILLED WORKER CATEGORY – LIST OF OCCUPATIONShttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

Step one: determine if your occupation figures on the occupations list. Even if your occupation does not appear to figure on the list find the nearest occupation and then look it up on the NOC(below).

NATIONAL OCCUPATIONAL CLASSIFICATION(NOC)http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx

Step 2: Do you have at least one year of experience in one of the 38 approved occupational titles? If yes, you may be deemed eligible to apply in the skilled worker category. Be careful: the initial description and list of main duties must match your work experience in at least one job in the last ten years, otherwise you will not be eligible. WORK EXPERIENCE

You must have work experience in an occupation in Skill type 0 or Skill level A or B, and your experience must have occurred during the 10 years before the date of application.

You must have at least one continuous year of full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment.

**Determining your NOC category**

To determine how many points you can earn for your work experience, go to the Occupational Descriptions page on the NOC website. Follow the instructions to find the NOC category that matches your work experience. If the description does not match your work experience, then you might not have the experience you need to apply as a skilled worker. Look through the NOC list to see if another occupation matches your experience. Check all the jobs you had in the past 10 years to see if you have at least one continuous year of work experience in a job that will qualify you as a skilled worker.

SKILLED WORKER CATEGORY – SELECTION CRITERIAhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp

Step 3: Review the selection criteria carefully then proceed to step 4 and do the self-assessment.

SKILLED WORKER CATEGORY – SELF-ASSESSMENThttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

Step 4: Do the self-assessment. You must have at least 67 points to be eligible to apply. If you are eligible, don't delay your application because rules can change.

SKILLED WORKER CATEGORY – PROCESSING MANUALhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf

Step 5: If you want to fully understand the mechanics of the federal skilled worker program, go through the immigration officer's manual.

SKILLED WORKER CATEGORY – IMMIGRATION FORMShttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp


CBSA - SETTLING IN CANADA(CUSTOMS INFORMATION)http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html

CBSA - PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOCUMENThttp://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html

Complete one form in advance for personal effects accompanying you and another form for personal effects that will follow later.

CBSA - IMPORTING A MOTOR VEHICLE INTO CANADAhttp://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

CCRA - INCOME TAX INFORMATION FOR NEWCOMERS TO CANADAhttp://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nwcmr-eng.htmlhttp://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4055/t4055-e.html


SETTLING IN CANADA - AFTER YOU ARRIVEhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/index.asp

SETTLING IN CANADA - BEFORE YOU ARRIVEhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before.asp

SETTLING IN ONTARIOhttp://www.settlement.org/
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:52 am

Return to Seniors Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post