Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can You Have Two Car Insurance Companies With Out Them Finding Out?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby kort » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:39 pm

I need an SR22 but my parents insurance company (Allstate) is saying I must go somewhere else or my payments are going to sky rocket. I only need the SR22 for two months so I figured I'd just get a second policy for two months, stay on my parents' as well, then just cancel the second policy when I don't need the SR22 any more so I can avoid losing the great rates I have on my parents'. Would my current insurance company find out if I got a second policy and cause me to have to reevaluate our current policy (which is the main thing I'm trying to avoid). And lastly, if you can't have two policies on one car could I leave my name on both and just take the car off my parents without having to reevaluate our current Allstate policy?
kort

Postby Conant » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Nobody is giving you insurance for $70 a month.
You'll be lucky to pay $70 a week.
Online quotes are notoriously messed up.

When your parents' insurance finds out that you've been driving the car, they will be dropped immediately.

Talk to your doctor about your alcohol problem.
Conant

Postby Skelley » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Try https://tr.im/aK4Hw
Skelley

Postby Mannleah » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 am

If you "have" to have a SR22 it is a high risk bond(liability coverage), because you either had a DUI or Excessive high speed ticket(or something else high risk). That will show up on your DMV report and cause insurance rates to go up for sure at renewal next time. The fact that you live with parents and drive their cars? is all the company needs to jack up those rates.
Mannleah

Postby Laureano » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:22 am

SR22 is on your driving record and any insurance company would see that once they pull your record to qoute you and see that you require it for what ever amount of time.

As far as your parents, do you live in the same house? then they must have you on their policy as a driver per law if your 16 or older. So, you would have to have SR22 on their policy.

Tell your parents your sorry and pay for the increase....obvisouly you broke some driving law that requires you to have SR22 so you should pay the increase until it is no longer needed.
Laureano

Postby Cadel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:48 pm

I would recommend one to visit this web page where you can compare quotes from different companies: http://INSUREQUOTE.US/index.html?src=3YA...

RE :Can you have two car insurance companies with out them finding out?

I need an SR22 but my parents insurance company (Allstate) is saying I must go somewhere else or my payments are going to sky rocket. I only need the SR22 for two months so I figured I'd just get a second policy for two months, stay on my parents' as well, then just cancel the second policy when I don't need the SR22 any more so I can avoid losing the great rates I have on my parents'. Would my current insurance company find out if I got a second policy and cause me to have to reevaluate our current policy (which is the main thing I'm trying to avoid). And lastly, if you can't have two policies on one car could I leave my name on both and just take the car off my parents without having to reevaluate our current Allstate policy?

Update: I'm 24 and don't live at home if that makes any difference.

So I'm guessing you guys are right that the price will go up when our current 6 month policy ends either way, but it still leaves me wondering if getting the second policy would effect the 6 month policy we just started since I only need the SR22 with the second guys for 2 months.

And PS. It might come as a surprise, but I'm getting $70-$100 quotes from other companies even with a DUI and the SR22.

Update 2: And Frank, you're stupid. I got it for just over $80 a month.

And thanks to none of you for accurate answers. You can have two insurance agencies I've found; Allstate themselves told me they wouldn't care. Thumbs down only are deserved for you all.

Follow 10 answers
Cadel

Return to Car Insurance