Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Man Busted Selling Fake Insurance Policies!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can you be denied health insurance if you are pregnant before you purchase the polity?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Can you be denied health insurance if you are pregnant before you purchase the polity?

Postby farrun » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 am

Can you be denied health insurance if you are pregnant before you purchase the policy?
i'm not pregnant but i was told i had more time to get insurance back in dec. at work but my manager was wrong... and now i'm without insurance... recently married. if i was to get pregnant can the insurance company deny me if i get insurance through my work?
farrun

Postby goddard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:41 am

you also should tell us if you are A. wanting to get pregnant; and, B. on birth control
goddard

Postby eston » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:46 am

You cannot be denied health insurance.
Now, they can deny if you for anything that is a pre-existing condition
eston

Postby roe98 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 am

Health Insurance addresses maturity on a "conception" basis. i.e. the baby needed to be conceived on or after the effective date of the policy. On the other end should an insured leave the plan, maturity should be covered on the same basis.

Some LARGE groups WILL cover on an "As any other illness" basis. One way or the other you need to be honest or they could deny based on "Withholding relevant health information", or falsifying the application if it asked if you were PG at that time.

As for the manager giving you false information you might have a case against the company, but you need to speak with a lawyer which I am NOT (Thank God)
roe98

Postby hastiin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:07 am

If it is a group plan that you get through your work, then no.
If it is an individual plan that you get on your own, then yes.
hastiin

Postby gonzalo59 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:16 am

Plead your case before king Obama.
gonzalo59

Postby arkwright37 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 am

If the pregnancy occurs before the policy begins, then by definition it IS a pre-existing condition. Whether the pre-existing condition is covered depends upon other factors - group coverage, individual coverage, etc.... And, if is was an individual plan, they'd deny you even if the plan didn't cover maternity.
arkwright37

Postby vontell5 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:25 am

If this is a group health policy through your job, they wont deny you if you are pregnant. If this is an individual policy yes they will deny you insurance if you are pregnant when you buy the insurance. Pregnancy is pre-existing for individual policy. They assume your husband has insurance that will cover you for that.
vontell5

Return to Health & Medical Insurance