Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can my wife have both German and US citizenship?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Can my wife have both German and US citizenship?

Postby acher » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:43 am

My wife and I have been married 7 years. I told her that I think she should apply for US citizenship. She doesn't want to because she thinks she will lose her German passport. From what I understand you can usually only hold one passport at a time unless your parents are from two different countries. Also losing citizenship in Germany would take away all her benefits like health insurance and free money every month for when she gets kids. =) So I can see her point. But I think rather then having a green card though It would be better if she becomes an American. Anyone out there have both passports?
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Can my wife have both German and US citizenship?

Postby birkee22 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:55 am

she should google the word: "beibehaltungsgenehmigung"

Since 2000 German citizens can naturalize and get a second citizenship if they first apply for and get such a permission.

And yes, it is better to be a citizen than having a greencard, since it's possible to lose a greencard, but not possibly to lose citizenship.

There is also a yahoo group for people like her and where people tell their experiences, I am sure if she looks, there will be plenty of people in her situation:
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 am

Can my wife have both German and US citizenship?

Postby roman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 am

As other have indicated it is possible but not exactly honest as the oath
for naturalization requires a renunciation of foreign citizenship.
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Can my wife have both German and US citizenship?

Postby jerrin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 am

Ignorance is a bliss, they say, but I disagree. Investing about 4 to 5 minutes is all it takes to learn about this.

Your wife will need to apply for a Beibehaltungsgenehmigung at the BVA before naturalizing. It is submitted to the nearest German consulate. She can get started on the N-400, but she cannot take the Oath of Allegiance until she has received and signed for the BBG.

There's a Yahoo Group dedicated to this: ZweiPaesse. There she will learn everything she needs to know. I was one of the first who took advantage of this process which started on 1/1/2000.
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 am

Return to Health & Medical Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post