Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can I stay on my parents health insurance once I have my baby?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby willaburh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:06 pm

I am 18 years old. I am pregnant and due in may. My boyfriends parents are prepared to help in any way but I haven't told my parents yet. I was planning on stayin on their health insurance until I graduate college. Can I still stay on their insurance once I have my baby? And can my baby go on my boyfriends insurance plan? Or do I have to register for my own health insurance now?

Thanks!
willaburh

Postby kerry29 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:09 pm

My fiance is on her parents insurance and I'm on my parents. Our little girl can't be on either insurances so I have to get a second one through my work. If your bf has his own insurance and he is the legal father then he can put the baby on his. You can stay on their insurance after the baby. It won't change your eligibility status. Ignore the green guy below. His answers are "stunted" for knowledge.
kerry29

Postby marvin81 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm

As far as I know you can stay on the insurence until you are 26 years old. The baby may not be on the health insurence after he/she is born. Look on the website of the ins. you have and see if theres some info there. I had my son when I was 19 and I am 25 now and he and I are still both on my mother's insurence.
marvin81

Postby beartlaidh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:18 pm

First off, you need to tell your parents now and see a doctor. As far as insurance goes, that depends. For example, my parents plan would have let me stay on their insurance until was 26 granted my parents were still willing to pay to keep me on. Some may not let you. You'll have to speak with them about it. And yes, your boyfriend can add the baby onto his.
beartlaidh

Postby linleah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Your baby cannot go on your parents plan. That is only for an adult child under age 26.

Your baby cannot go on your boyfriend's plan since you must be his spouse for that.

You will have to buy a health insurance policy for the child.

You'd better get a job with health benefits and forget about college.
linleah

Return to Health & Medical Insurance