Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Things to Know Before Buying Travel Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can a single mother survive on less than 20,000 per year?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby devoss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

A full time student, working as a CNA, child in daycare at the college, small car, takes bus to school daily, one bedroom apartment or an apartment shared with a roommate, a infant son, no child support, medicaid as child's insurance, high school graduate etc. Ambitious and will to make this work. Is it possible for my infant son and I to live okay on a CNA salary while i attend school to become an RN with an associates degree and a BSN RN immediately after? I"m so scared i won't be able to and that i will end up below the poverty line and stuck with family who don't want me around.
devoss

Postby torrence68 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Yes. My mom makes 13000 a year and she's single raising four kids under eighteen in California
torrence68

Postby baldwinn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Maybe not 20000....your probs gonna have trouble
baldwinn

Postby willaburh » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Yes you can! It's all about financial management. Avoid spending on anything that could be considered a luxury and ONLY spend on essentials for the year. Essentials are anything needed to live. Avoid eating out, avoid shopping the center of the grocery store and meal plan before grocery shopping each week. For more ideas on ways to make your money work for you and cut your costs check out this site! www.DaniJohnson.com. She's pretty brilliant at making money go further with grocery costs etc.

Best of luck!
willaburh

Postby whitney83 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 pm

You really need to give more detail in order to have good answers to your question.

IE, what part of the country do you live in? In certain locales, 20,000 will obviously go much farther than others. I currently live in the Los Angeles area. If you were asking that here, the answer would be a resounding "NO". There is a high cost of living here. Even within states (California for example), costs DO vary. If I lived in say, central California or the Bakersfield area, or out near the desert somewhere here, I would pay less and thus I might be able to live more comfortably on that. I lived in San Antonio for three years while I was doing my teaching certification. If you asked the question there, the answer would be "probably" but you might struggle. San Antonio has one of the lowest costs of living in the country.

You havn't given us a lot of detail about your current bills---ie, do you pay a car note, what is your rent? what are your costs for car insurance, credit cards, etc?

Certainly, a lot of the things you are doing--sharing an apartment, taking public transportation,etc, will save you money. Other things that you can do include taking lunch to work (and not eating out), clipping coupons whenever possible, etc. You should look into whether or not you and your son qualify for some type of assistance--more than likely as a student, you do. Also, why are you not receiving child support?

The short answer is--'maybe', but that is a tight budget, and my 'maybe' is really more based on someone supporting just themselves--not a child, with no child support. Everybody's situation is different, and just because someone else can make it on that money, doesn't mean you can, especially if you do not receive any assistance and live in a high cost of living area. If you give a little more detail, I can provide more of an answer.
whitney83

Postby art96 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:33 pm

wait a minute, where's the dad and child support? He should be paying support for you to finish school as well so you can support your child. If you have an infant son then you'd best have your mother watch the child while you're doing all this running around trying to get educated and all. This is going to be a long haul, hope you get some grants, hope you don't have to pay your mom to watch your child. You don't want a roommate unless the roomie is your mom. It's just not safe. Frankly I think you're planning too much for the income and missing out on your child's growing years and your nurturing your child. He will grow up without you and become something you won't like because you won't be there to give direction. You can't be a full time student, work a job and have an infant. You'd be way too stressed out. How is the child in daycare if it's an infant???? You need to re-evaluate. First get that child support, contact your attorney. Are you getting food stamps? Maybe section 8?
art96

Postby goreu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Maybe, but poor child. He will spend his formative years without much of a mother if you are going to school and working full time. My mother just worked a crap job and WAITED until I was in school and older until she went back to schoo herself. A 0 to 5 child needs his mother. We didnt have much as in furniture, toysbut I remember our daily walks to the park as a 3,4 year old. I remember bed time stories, etc. I think thats the best thing to do. Your child deserves a doting mother, not life in day care as an infant and toddler.
goreu

Postby cuddy96 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Single fathers with custody have to.
cuddy96

Postby gonzalo59 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Single fathers with custody have to.
it is enough .just use your money wisely.you can take the financial aid in your education.
financial aid for single mothers is available through federal and state funding as well as direct financial assistance from a college or university. With over $91 billion dollars available in financial aid for single mothers, financial assistance for single mothers is the aid required to create educational opportunities for future generations.why do not you avail the facilities and make your life better.Do not scare everything will be fine.
gonzalo59

Return to Car Insurance