Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can I Ride A Motorcycle Without Insurance If I Have A Valid Reason?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby Brennon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:26 am

I'm 16 years old and I'm buying a motorcycle that is in New Hampshire. I live in Massachusetts.
I have to go there with my father on a car and I have to ride the bike back to MA. The problem is that I will not have any number plates or insurance because that will be my first time getting the bike. So if a police officer stops me, would he understand my situation? Also, I will be having a motorcycle permit and I think that my father has to follow me in his car and watch out for me? Right? Please answer
Brennon

Postby Teppo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:07 am

You will be doing no less than three illegal things.
You can not legally operate any vehicle in mass without insurance.
You can not legally operate any vehicle in NH or Mass without registration.
I am fairly certain that your permit is only legal in the state which issued it.

Trailer the bike home.
Teppo

Postby Armen » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:34 am

No, a police officer won't understand your situation. Your bike would be impounded and you would be ticketed for no plate, no insurance and no motorcycle endorsement.
Armen

Postby Nemausus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:18 pm

No
Nemausus

Postby Swayn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Illegal, illegal and illegal again.

You cannot ride the motorcycle home, it has to be put on a trailer and towed home behind your father's vehicle.

No police officer would understand any part of this situation, it does not matter if your father is following you or not.

No vehicle can be taken on the road with an unlicensed driver, or without proper plates and registration.

You need to rethink purchasing any vehicle before you know the rules of the road much better than what you are indicating on here.

Go onto the State of Massachusetts website, look for the section on Motor Vehicle operation, and look for the section on Motorcycle operation, permits and licensing.

Good luck and be careful out there, you do not want to lose your driving privileges before you have even started driving or riding.
Swayn

Postby achban62 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 am

That's not a valid reason, so no you can't do it.
It's against the law, just like it's against the law to drive without valid plates.

If you don't have valid plates and insurance, you can't drive the vehicle.
You need to either set up a policy and a set of (temporary) plates first, or you need to tow the bike home with a trailer.
There are no exceptions for that, not even on the first day.

You don't need to physically have the vehicle in order to insure it, you just need the VIN and a few basic details.
Insurance providers are totally good with insuring a vehicle you haven't picked up yet, because that's the only legal way to drive it home.
achban62

Return to Home Insurance