Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can i leave an uninsured car on the side of the road?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby zigor » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:36 pm

My son has been bought a car by his father (my ex). It is taxed but not insured and is in my son's name. It is parked outside our house in a residential road. My son is having driving lessons and is due to take his test in March. Is it legal to have this car on the side of the road without insurance? Could I drive this car as I have fully comprehensive cover on my car insurance?
zigor

Postby burket » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

"Is it legal to have this car on the side of the road without insurance?"
No.
If a vehicle is on a public road, then it MUST have tax, M.O.T. and insurance. The police have the authority to seize and crush uninsured vehicles.

"Could I drive this car as I have fully comprehensive cover on my car insurance?"
That would depend on the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
The only person who can answer that question is you (after you have read the terms and conditions of your insurance your policy).
burket

Postby nik » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:44 pm

No, no, no and super no, Ms Fiona. How in the world did this vehicle arrive at this location? Was it towed? I have to assume it was driven by the previous owner and covered by his or her insurance. Now, it is in your son's name and it is required by law to be properly insured while on a public conveyance of any sort: road, lane, ally, street, etc. This vehicle can be stolen, it could be hit by someone else, it can catch on fire, etc. I suggest you move onto private property. If you do not have private property to relocate this vehicle you must procure insurance. And no, no,no, no and no you may not drive this car under the coverage of any other vehicle. Each vehicle must have its own insurance policy. It does not work that way at all. Now, Ms Fiona, I am quite surprised that you decided to ask this question in this forum since the adult and proper manner to address automobile insurance questions or issues is to give your insurance company or agent a nice phone call and get the most correct answer from that source. So, dial up and ask them. I am quite positive you shall receive a similar answer.
nik

Postby connlaio16 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:47 pm

1. By law if it is taxed it has to be insured - new law came in last year and here are the details
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696
2. An uninsured car cannot be parked on the road or in a public place
3. You may or may not be able to drive other cars on your insurance that do not belong to you, HOWEVER such cars will also have to be insured by the owner

Put simply - no you cant park it on the road without insurance and you can't drive it at all.
If its not going to be insured it has to be SORNed and parked off road and not in a public place.
connlaio16

Postby jaye74 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm

NO. The law was changed recently that if it is taxed then it MUST be insured whether on or off road.
If you keep the vehicle off road then it should have a SORN declaration then no insurance is required.

You would have to check with your insurance company as to whether you could drive it. Normally it would be NO as if you are driving another car other than the one you have insured requires that car to also have insurance.
jaye74

Postby lludd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Each individual car must have insurance in it's own right, if it is on the public highway. For you to be legitimately able to use your insurance, it must have it's own policy. I live in the UK. Anyone outside the UK answering this, be aware, your insurance laws are likely to be VERY different to ours. If the car is spotted by DVLA or ANPR equipped Police cars, it may be clamped and/or towed away, and not released until insured. Either insure it or park it on a private driveway.
lludd

Postby carlin44 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:05 pm

No you can not leave it on the side of the road as it is not insured. It will cost the owner 6 points and a fine. You would also not be able to drive it as it must be insured in it's own right for you to do this, Having your own insurance policy does not automatically allow you to drive other vehicles, you need to check your policy to make sure.
carlin44

Postby aundray84 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:15 pm

No it can't be left on the road, it also has to have a SORN notice on it and be kept in a driveway/garage off the road.
You can't drive it under your "driving other cars" clause on your own insurance either because the car needs to be insured in it's own right for that cover to be allowed.
aundray84

Postby filbuk » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Put simply, insurance follows the car.

Just because you have insurance on your car, does not transfer to this car, since this car is UNINSURED, thus not legal to drive by ANYONE.

All the other things the posters talk about regarding UK tax etc applies also.
filbuk

Postby frederik86 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Any unused car (except museum car or car in motor trade premises etc) must have insurance and the owner must declare SORN to the DVLC.
It is an abandoned vehicle without that and can be taken away to be crushed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696
frederik86

Next

Return to Car Insurance