Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Can A Collection Agency Garnish My Wages If I Don't Pay My Child Medical Bill?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby Christoffer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 pm

My ex wife tool my child to the doctor and the child was covered under my employer insurance.

do you think the doctor/collection agency can find my information or garnish my wages if idon't pay my child medical bill? In other words, is it legally for the collecton agency to get my personal and financial information from my medical insurance company?
Christoffer

Postby Knocks » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:28 pm

The collection agency wouldn't be coming after you.
It's your insurance, but SHE took your child to the doctor.
So, it's your ex wife's bill as she should have signed as the responsible party.
The fact that it's your insurance doesn't obligate you to the bill anymore than if you gave her $20 before she took the kid there.

The collection agency can sue her and if they win the suit, the courts I suppose could require garnished wages.
But, the collection agency otherwise has no power to magically do that or send police to your home...or any other story they make up.
They can do two things 1) report your bad debt to a credit agency (hers in this case) and 2) sue for the money owed.

If the ex wife never signed, then the doctor would probably have to eat the bill.
Knocks

Postby Lange » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:31 am

with a legal Court Order your wages can b garnished.

a 'collection agency' can try to extort the money from

u with illegal threats.

Pay the bill , get it in writing and all goes away.

yes it is legal to give your medical, wage info to

collection company.
Lange

Postby Mercer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 am

actually if your wife took your child to the doctor, your wife probably signed that she is responsible for any medical bill not covered by insurance.

what does your child support decree say in relation to medical bills? If it doesn't say anything, you and your ex owe 50/50 = the medical provider can sue either of you and that parent can sue the other parent for 50% of the cost.
Mercer

Postby Eugenius » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Unless the collection agency is actually trying to collect ON BEHALF OF your insurance company, they cannot get the information, and they cannot garnish your wages.

If it IS on behalf of your insurance company, then yes, they can both collect info and garnish.
Eugenius

Return to Home Insurance