Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Bro In Law Who Lives In Us Wants To Drive My Car In The Uk - What To Do Insurance Wise?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Bro In Law Who Lives In Us Wants To Drive My Car In The Uk - What To Do Insurance Wise?

Postby Prescott » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 am

You must add him as a named driver to your insurance.

As a visitor from foreign parts, especially one which drives on the wrong side of the road, this won't be cheap.

American insurance laws are completely different, here we insure the driver and car over there it's just the car.

If he has an accident on your policy then yes it will affect your policy's no claim record. If you allow him to drive your car without insurance cover you could end up with 6 points on your licence and an expensive repair bill.

In reality it would be cheaper for him to hire a car.
I'm assuming of course that he has a full American driving licence.
Prescott

Postby Eyton » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:18 pm

It is very unlikely that his US insurance will cover him to drive your car in the UK. You will therefore need to add him to your insurance policy, as a named driver, for a short period. That may not be cheap - but it will certainly cost less than it would if he had to hire a car for the week he is here.
Eyton

Postby Zephan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Yes only your own insurer can help if anyone can and they may not wish to.

Yes if there is a claim on your policy due to his accident then it is a claim on your policy so you lose the NCB
Zephan

Postby Boise » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Bro in law who lives in US wants to drive my car in the UK - What to do insurance wise?

Looking 4 auto insurance companies? one of the top to get best auto insurance company, rates and prices is: http://www.cheapinsurance4auto.info
Boise

Postby Evann » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:42 am

You will need to add him to your policy which may be expensive. If he has an accident yes it will affect your no claims discount.

You might find it cheaper to get him a hire car from a big company who will be able to cover him on his US license and you will not have your no claims at risk.
Evann

Return to Life Insurance