Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is My Boss Taking Advantage Of Me?

Unemployment Insurance and Employment Discussion

Postby Erryl » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:42 pm

I feel like my boss is taking advantage of me.

She stole me away from one job, by offering to pay me more.

For the past 4 months, since I have been employed, on my work days, and on my off days, I literally get ATLEAST two phone calls every day asking to cover someone's shift, or to come in.

Okay, at first, I understood that retail is busy, and yes, sometimes you need more ppl than you predicted, but for this to go on EVERYDAY for the past 4 months has gotten annoying, and to the point where I block the store calls and they are forwarded to voicemail.

Also, whenever I am at work, and my clockout time rolls around, I am asked to stay later at the last minute. This past time it happend, I had made dinner plans at 6 - was scheduled to get off at 5 - and explained this to my boss, then she said, "Well, I need you 'til 7pm." I tried my best to politely tell her no, but she guilted me in to it, by asking whether or not I felt obliged to be there, if I liked my job, etc.

Keep in mind that I am a PART-TIME employee.

Anyway, these phone calls happen everyday, and they always ask me why I can't come in. I would think, "I've already made prior plans," is a good enough reason, but she always askes for more. It is so frustrating! I just want to be like: "I am not an on-call employee - if you want me to be on call, pay me like an on call employee."

Here recently, I'm getting my CNA certification. She had found out about me taking classes for it, and asked me infront of all the other employees if I was going to still work there and hold a CNA job when my certification classes were over. Trying not to be rude, I said yes. But honestly, I don't think I will ... Does anyone else see anything wrong with this situation? I just feel bad for telling her "no", but there are times when I cannot stay over later or just come in to work on a whim.
Erryl

Postby Romney » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes, she is absolutely taking advantage.
An employer has no right to demand anyone work on days off, without prior agreement.
If she needs you these extra hours, she should discuss whether you have the time, and then schedule them.

Unfortunately, there is little that can be done other then what you are already doing.
Don't pick up the call unless you want the hours.

I would discuss it with her, especially since this is not a career job.
Be very calm and professional, and just explain you cannot be on-call (or ask for more compensation).
She might lay you off, but if she's that short of staff, and you're a good employee, probably not.
And if she does, you should be able to get unemployment insurance what that reason for job loss.

And it's not rude to say you will continue to work there.
She obviously did not hesitate to lie to you about the hours.
And that type of boss would not hesitate to lay you off if it was to her benefit.
Then putting you on the spot like that was very wrong.

Speaking of hours, how many are you getting.
If you go over 30 hours per week, they must give you full time compensation (salary and benefits).
Over 40 requires overtime pay.
If you are working over 30, talk to an attorney when you are ready to leave the job.
Romney

Postby inaki7 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Very.
Surely there must be other people there to cover the missing shifts or time.

As well, and I think it's law, you are entitles to a break from work.
And if you made plans, she needs to respect that.
inaki7

Postby Belldon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 am

you have to be accurately assertive which contain your boss. which means you ought to place out the floor rules and tell your boss the way you experience. do no longer attack her in my opinion- as an occasion, do no longer point out that she spends too plenty time on facebook, for the reason that'll reason her to in the present day get protecting. do no longer even say the word 'you' in the process the communication, say 'i've got self belief...' and different 'I' statements. Say something like, ''I realize it is an quite stressful time for the business business enterprise, yet i'm able to't be prepared to artwork off the clock or no longer get the extra time pay I deserve if i'm in a position to cover any of better shifts." or maybe something like, "i'm apprehensive that loosing a artwork/life stability will avert me from...." If that communication would not artwork, a week later, tutor her your place of work work of how you logged on your hours. Say, "in accordance to my archives, I worked 50 hours final week, yet I purely have been given paid for 40 hours and did no longer get any extra time pay. are you able to help me decide this discrepancy?" you will could desire to have good archives on your hours. If she isn't responsive, remind her of the labor regulations on your state, which in many circumstances require extra time pay for hours over 40. you may could desire to call the labor board on your state to get your $
Belldon

Postby Kris » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Uhhhh, yeahhhh. It's pretty obvious.
Kris

Postby Ritter » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 pm

You're being way too polite in this situation. You are not a mindless robot to be ordered to work on what is your own time at the whims of your boss.
Ritter

Return to Unemployment Insurance