Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Roamright Travel Insurance

Best Way To Get Into America?

Going on a holiday? Get the right Travel Insurance!

Best Way To Get Into America?

Postby Filmore » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 pm

hi I've meet a girl an I've fallen in love

we both have

im from Australia an she's from Oregon

what's the best way to be together legally

as i wanna move over there. im currently working as an apprentice boliermaker so no financial issues there

much appreciated if i can get some real answers an really detailed thanks
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56 pm

Best Way To Get Into America?

Postby cace » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Australian citizens can travel to the USA for up to 90 days at a time as a tourist or for some business purposes by registering for ESTA > before < their trip begins.
The cost is US$14, which is similar to the fee for the Australian ETA program. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/withou... http://www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices...

(Your American friend can visit Australia by registering for an ETA, which is similar to an ESTA)

Registering is accomplished online, you don't need the details of your trip, and the confirmation is valid for multiple trips to the USA over two (2) years so don't wait until the last minute.

Print the confirmation - or at least record the number - and keep the information with your passport.
Having a return or onward ticket leaving North America is a requirement, so have a copy of your airline itinerary at passport control.

If you are planning a long visit then DON'T schedule your departure day for the 90th day (any part of a day in the USA counts as a whole day, so if you arrive at 23:59h on the 1st and leave at 00:01h on the 10th it is 10 days in the USA).
Schedule your departure not later than the 88th day as there are no (zero) provisions in the Visa Waiver Program for someone to voluntarily extend their stay. If you miss your flight due to something Immigration might consider avoidable (ex. flat tire on the way to the airport) they may ban you from using the VWP in the future.

Check with your health insurance to find out if it covers you in the USA and pays for medical evacuation to home (should that be necessary).
If yes then take proof of coverage with you.
If no or not sure then get trip medical insurance, which is cheap and sold by airlines & travel agents. The USA has wonderful medical care but it isn't free or even cheap.
Please do not skimp on this as an otherwise-silly accident could turn into a crisis if you don't have medical insurance.
This is a link from the US government, but the info is good for anyone traveling outside their home country:


You CANNOT work in the USA on the Visa Waiver Program and you also cannot voluntarily extend your stay. However, you can travel to the USA and talk to an attorney who is familiar with immigration law about options.

The most realistic way to stay in the USA long term is to attend school on a student visa.

If you decide to go to university in the USA the first step is to identify several schools you might want to attend and make contact with their offices of international students

For example: (not in Oregon)



Good luck!
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Return to Travel Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post