Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Becoming An Insurance Agent?

Discussion forum for Insurance Agents

Postby Saewald » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello all,

I have just graduated high school. I currently have 19 college credits from Dual Enrollment and I am attending a University this fall and taking 15 additional college credits. I have recently changed my mind on my major and decided that I want to go into Insurance and become an insurance agent. I was thinking about taking the classes to get my certificates at Central Georgia Tech School. After I get them, working as an insurance agent but going back to school part time immediately after to get my bachelors degree in business. I would do it the traditional way with bachelors first or bachelors in insurance, but hardly any schools actually offer the major. Is this a good idea? Oh, also the reason I would do it this way is because my parents both just died and if I want to go to college at all, I have to pay for it all myself. So I'm trying to do it the best way for me. Any ideas? I know this may be confusing.

Thank you in advance.
Saewald

Postby Connlyn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:12 am

Any particular reason you want to be an insurance agent? These are largely sales positions.
You don't need to major in business, they take any degree area.
Related areas are customer service fields, which again, does not require a degree in business.
People skills are far more important, which isn't taught in college.

Now if you want to do backoffice stuff --calculating and making insurance plans, you need to major in math, econ, or preferably actuarial science.
A high level of math skills is required, which isn't part of a regular business program.
Connlyn

Return to Insurance Agents