Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Apartment Fire, Due To Building Not Up To Code. No Renters Insurance. Can I Sue My Complex?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Apartment Fire, Due To Building Not Up To Code. No Renters Insurance. Can I Sue My Complex?

Postby Delano » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:18 am

Last July we had an apartment fire on my boyfriends birthday. We came home from his birthday dinner to fire trucks everywhere. Our apartment & a few others completely burned to the ground. We lost both our cats & everything we owned. all we had left were the clothes on our backs. I had renters insurance but when we went to make the claim we were told it was cancelled the month before due to no payment. I don't see how because it comes out of my account automatically Every month with my auto. Even if the money is not in the bank, the bank still pays it. & just charges me a fee & obviously a negative account...Long story short, End of the day, no renters insurance. For months after the fire I called the office manager asking if they received the report back. We wanted to know what caused it. What happened, we were devastated. The day of the fire, the fire fighters did state to us that they were leaning twords some sort of electrical fire in the wall, but could not officially tell us. Now our apartment had old fuse boxes, & we are currently in a new one/building & they have circuit breakers(building code)....& to get back to the building manager, for months she told me they have not heard or received the "final report". This is strange/suspicious to me cause they have already started to re-build the building & seems to me if the fire marshal was done investigating & all that Then there should be a "final report" & somebody knows something....today I was on yellow pages looking up the # to the office to give to a friend. they were interested in moving here. I was looking at reviews & something popped out to me. One person was ranting on about how bad the place is.... ants, maintenance, Ect,,, office manager being rude & a liar were the most I seen out of all the comments. well one guy also said..."the building also had a fire due to electrical problems, as he was told & the Office manager lies & blames it on the tenants" I am so angry at this point. I still have never gotten the report back & found out today that I can go get it myself at the department which I plan on doing first thing in the morning..I think that the building was not up to code & that's why they don't want me to know. this fire was not our fault. & I am wondering, if this comes back to be the apartments fault...can I sue them? If so how can I go about doing it? does any one know of good lawyers? please help any advice would be appreciated. We are still trying to re-build our life. & if it is a possibility that I can sue I plan on it because this is not right. those old *** fuse boxes are fishy & all the other buildings & apartments have the updated circuit breakers. I feel like this was their fault & the report will come back to prove so
Delano

Postby aditeya » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am

Many older buildings are not up to current code.
That does not make them illegal.
To sue, you will have to prove that not only was the code violated, that the landlord or owner KNEW about the infraction AND that it was the cause of the fire.

The truth is that you were at fault by allowing your insurance to lapse.
aditeya

Postby Corliss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

I suggest you to hire an attorney. He'll be one who can guide you properly. Get renter insurance and pay on time. At least in future you don't end up in the same situation.

These used to be good and offer free advice: http://locate-lawyer.info/

RE:

partment fire, due to building not up to code. no renters insurance. can I sue my complex?

Last July we had an apartment fire on my boyfriends birthday. We came home from his birthday dinner to fire trucks everywhere. Our apartment & a few others completely burned to the ground. We lost bot...
Corliss

Return to Home Insurance