Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Age Limit To Be Licensed And Bonded?

All discussions relating to Business Insurance and Business Finance

Postby tonibraxton » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 am

I need to become licensed and bonded as a 'cleaning business' so that I can clean a local doctor's office once a week. The job is basically mine, except that everyone I talk to seems worried I'm not old enough to get insured for this. I'm 19, and live in the state of Alaska. Does anyone know if there's an age limit for this? The thinking here is that if I have to be 25 to rent a car, shouldn't I have to be a certain age to get insurance?
tonibraxton

Postby Gard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:06 pm

You have to be 18.

However, you're going to need someone else to guarantee the bond, most likely.
Gard

Postby Weardhyll » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Are you sure you mean ?bonded??

A ?fidelity bond? covers fraudulent acts.
I used to be a teller in a bank, and I know the bank had me bonded.
So if I started stealing cash, the bonding company would pay the bank for the missing cash, and then sue me for the amount they paid.
(I was 19 at the time.)

A ?performance bond? covers specific performance on a project.
Like if you had a construction company, and you were contracted to build a house.
But then halfway through the project you stopped working, and either refused to continue or you were unable to continue.
Your bonding company would pay for the job to be finished, and then sue you for the amount they paid.

I have no idea what kind of license is required to clean offices.
I am doubtful any license is required.
I live in Minnesota, and in Minnesota most licenses are handled by the state Commerce Department.
There are some professions that need a license, like contractors, insurance agents, insurance adjusters, barbers, appraisers, etc.
We do not require janitors to be licensed in Minnesota.
You can check out the web site for the Commerce Department in Alaska to see what licenses they administer.

I am guessing they want you to be insured.
And if you are a self-employed, it would be a good idea to have general liability insurance.
This covers any ?property damage? or ?bodily injury? that you cause due to your negligence.
As long as you are over 18, this would not be a problem.

In summary, I doubt any license is required, and I doubt you need to be bonded.
But general liability insurance would be a good idea, if they require you to be insured.

============== (Added)

How necessary is it to have general liability insurance? If you are cleaning the building after hours, then the building is probably vacant.
So it is very unlikely you could cause any ?bodily injuries? to anyone, since there is no one around.
Even ?property damage? is perhaps unlikely.
The building is already insured for property damage, so if you inadvertently burned the building down, well, that is already covered by the building owners insurance.
Plus, having general liability insurance does not mean everything is "covered." For example, if you were cleaning a mirror, and the mirror broke, that would not be covered.
That's because "your work" and "your products" are EXCLUDED from coverage.
You would still be liable for breaking the mirror, but you would have to pay for it yourself.
Your general liability insurance would not cover that.
Do you see what I am trying to say here?

=============== (Added)

Bad things can happen.
I handled a claim for our insured that operated a one-man cleaning service.
He was cleaning a surgical room in a plastic surgery clinic on a weekend.
He was alone in the building.
He had a jug of hydrochloric acid on his cart, and it fell to the floor and broke open.
He cleaned it up right away.
But that product has corrosive vapors.
The surgical room had mostly stainless steal components, including the cabinets, surgical tables, etc.
All the stainless steel surfaces turned BROWN.
The damage totaled about $186,000.
Our insured only had a $100,000 policy.
But I found an exclusion in the policy.
Because he brought the chemical into the building, it was excluded under the pollution exclusion.
I denied the claim.
(Fortunately, our insured had been working as a subcontractor to another cleaning service, and they ended up covering the loss.)
Weardhyll

Return to Business Insurance