Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

1998 Chevy Cavalier Anti-theft

Discussion forum for Insurance Agents

Postby Curr » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:13 pm

I read some of the previous posts, that hit right on when it came to the factory anti theft with the car. So you had suggested buying the bypass module, the problem I am having is that I am not wiring up a remote startup system and just the bypass for it to disable my current anti theft on the car from the factory. When following the instructions and wiring it up, the car runs a few seconds longer until the anti theft light starts to blink and shuts down the car, am I doing something wrong?

Postby Adamson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:49 pm

I never suggested putting the 555L bypass module in this car. I don't know why you want to disable the PASSLOCK. Its not very effective against theft unless of course someone wires the module up wrong, which was a waste of money and whoever told you to purchase it for a non remote start application, does not understand the system. Your engine will not stay running because the system no longer sees the rotation of the ignition lock.

This was a stupid system designed by the all-knowing GM engineers to disable the engine only if the ignition lock was forced from the steering column. One could easily jam a screwdriver in the lock, force rotate the ignition lock with a vice grips and car could be driven down the road without a key! Or, if the lock has wear and the key can come out in any lock position, a correctly cut key is not needed either.

In other words, this so called anti theft system was junk and did not prevent theft.

The ignition lock has a magnet and another magnet is mounted in the ignition lock housing. As stated, if the lock is ripped out of the column, the magnetic field is broken and starting gives the same results you have.

The thin yellow wire running down the left side of the column is the key. If you look on the web, GM designed a slip shod way for the dealers to install remote start, giving you a choice of security or remote start, not both. Look on the web "GM Bulletin #26 May of 1999."

There is no special key and this system functions with the rotation of the ignition lock.

If you want to go that way you can without the toggle. Just turn the ignition to on and cut the yellow wire. The only bad thing in this case is the security light stays on steady when driving. Some have just put tape over the light. Its been 12 years since I installed a 555l bypass module, but I always used them with an alarm with a remote start and that may be your problem.

Just go to the web where I told you to go for the bulletin. Its quick, its simple.

Good Luck!http://www.autotheftexpert.comhttp://www.autotheftexpert.com

Return to Insurance Agents