Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is 24,000 a year too much for a health insurance family plan?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby donnel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 am

I recently got health insurance which is for a family of 6. The monthly cost is 1,700 and the deductible is 4,000. so every year that comes out to 24,400. No one in my family is pregnant. The cost is zero for any medicine, doctor visit, emergency room or hospital stay, after the deductible everything is paid in full. I went online to Ehealthinsurance.com and apparently that website gives out the best and cheapest deals. The website is very famous and people are always getting deals from them. Is 24,000 a year too much for health insurance? Is there another place where I can find cheaper insurance for a family? Please and thank you.
donnel

Postby elson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 am

JUST A TAD! Thats 2000 a month which is a little high.
elson

Postby seafra » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

Your deductibles are too low?
What do you have $250 deductibles? Would you consider higher?
There are some that are $3,000 deductibles where you can save a ton of money.
Sounds like you got yourself one of those cadillac plans.
You are going to pay through the nose for that.

To compare google your state name followed by health insurance.
You might see companies like Cigna, Aetna, BlueCross/Shield, Kaiser, etc.
Again, consier raising those deductibles if you have savings in place.
seafra

Postby brook34 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 am

It depends upon your location. In my state that is very high. In some states that is very good. You may want to speak with someone that knows all of the plans in your area - maybe you don't need this good of a plan. Also, you don't always have to pay the deductible. If nobody in your family uses medical services in a year you don't have to pay that deductible.
brook34

Postby enock » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:50 am

It depends upon your location. In my state that is very high. In some states that is very good. You may want to speak with someone that knows all of the plans in your area - maybe you don't need this good of a plan. Also, you don't always have to pay the deductible. If nobody in your family uses medical services in a year you don't have to pay that deductible.
$1700 a month is the average, for a low deductible family plan WITHOUT maternity coverage. But costs range wildly from state to state, and depend heavily on the HEALTH of your family members.

That website you're referencing, is an independent agent, that just markets on the internet. They are licensed in your state, but if you're dealing with an agent 3 states away, they probably don't know which plans work best with YOUR local hospitals.

You're probably better off finding a local agent - local to you. They'll have ALL the same companies that the big guy has, but you'll get much more personalized service, and LOCAL KNOWLEDGE.
enock

Postby farold » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 am

No, it's not too much in the USA. $24,000 per year for a family of 6 is only $333.33 per person per month. In many parts of the U.S., that would be too little. In some parts of the U.S., no one can buy insurance for less than $400 per month per person. In some parts of the U.S., some residents have to pay more than $2000 per month per person (they have to pay more for one person than you are paying for a family of six).

I don't know where you live, but I can eliminate a lot of places, because I know that you don't live in any of the places where no one can get health insurance for a family of 6 for only $24,000 per year.

Is there another place where you can get cheaper insurance? Sure. You can get cheaper insurance in almost any other country. The USA is the most expensive place in the world to get health insurance.
farold

Return to Health & Medical Insurance